The phrase ‘laughter is the best medicine” stands true on so many levels that physicians recommend implementing activities and hobbies that induce laughter, onto daily life. Laughter has been known to positively affect a person’s mood, thereby giving a psychological boost which can linger for a few hours or many days.
Are you aware of the bodily responses to laughter? Read them here:
- Better Cognitive Ability : Laughter improves cognitive ability. Multiple experimental tests have reported that the level of the stress hormone – cortisol, saw a decline in the levels in the body after a good laugh. The reduced cortisol level in the body allows better performance of cognitive functions.
- Key to a Healthy Heart : Anger and hostility plays a role in the development and worsening of heart diseases. Replacing these negative emotions with happiness and laughter is the key to a healthy heart!
- Healthier Immune System : Laughter boosts the immune system, lowers blood pressure & cholesterol levels in the body. Laughter leads to an increase in level of oxygen in the blood and better circulation, which in turn strengthens the immune system, and provides a positive effect on seniors with high cholesterol and heart disease.
- Eliminates pain : Laughter also augments the endorphin levels present in the blood. Endorphin – our body’s natural pain killer, when increased, helps to withstand pain and inflammation.
- Zero Negativity : Dopamine and other stress busting chemicals present in the body see a rise on laughing. This surge aids in reducing anxiety, stress and depression.
- Physical Fitness : Laughter engages diaphragm, muscles and nerves; which is particularly essential for seniors with asthma and bronchitis. Generally, physical engagement of muscles and nerves promotes a feel of being well.
Seniors enjoy the company of friends and family, and laugh the most at such gatherings. We, humans are social beings and the company we keep plays a crucial role in our emotional and psychological wellbeing. Thus it is important for seniors to surround themselves with humorous people who see life in a positive light, so that their company can boost them in times of despair and engaging in fun activities can provide entertainment and a sense of fulfilment.